15
Oct
10

Blog Action Day 2010

Something a little different today.  October 15 is Blog Action Day through change.org.  The point is to mobilize the world’s bloggers to create meaningful discussion about a global issue. This year the theme is water.

Why water? It is vital to life, yet 1 in 8 of the world’s people don’t have access to potable water. It’s crazy, isn’t it? We here in Vancouver, Canada go about our daily lives…take a shower, use a toilet, make meals, wash dishes, brush our teeth, do laundry…all without worrying about our water supply. For 884 million people, that’s not the case.

This is the fountain at Queen Elizabeth Park, near the Bloedel Conservatory. I really enjoyed the beauty of the fountain. I even stuck my feet in the water while taking a break from the photowalk. That day, I didn’t think about how much of a luxury it is to have this much water used for a decorative fountain. Stats say that a 5 minute shower uses more water than some people in the developing world have for the entire day. How many people could the Queen Elizabeth fountain sustain, I wonder?

Okay, so that’s not really the ocean. It’s at the Vancouver Aquarium. I put it up to represent the world’s oceans. The oceans account for 97% of the world’s water. This is water that is too salty to drink. That leaves the world’s population with 3% of the Earth’s water to use. I don’t know where the technology is at now, but from my understanding, it’s too expensive and time consuming to try to reclaim ocean water and turn it into fresh water.

The day that I took that photo at the Aquarium I was there for probably about 2 hours. Just having fun taking photos. In that same amount of time, women in the developing world have walked miles to get to a source of fresh water and they still face another 2 hours carrying that water home. And just because the water is fresh, it is by no means guaranteed to be clean.

I have to admit…I like taking photos of water. I like the challenge of capturing its movement in a still photograph. Yet, I’ve never really thought about the bigger picture (oops, pardon the pun). And I like to think that I’m somewhat globally conscious. So this is where, if you’ve made it this far into my post, you can get more information than my rambling thoughts and perhaps do something to help.

Blog Action Day 2010
I got the banner at the top from a screen shot of the website. There’s info about what the day is all about, a petition to sign, and you can register your own blog and join in the discussion.

Water.org
This is where I got my water info. This is a non-profit organization that is working on solutions to the water crisis.

UNICEF Canada
UNICEF offers a program called “Gift of Water” which allows you to make a donation towards a water-based need as a gift for someone. You are sent a certificate that you can give to that person to show what your donation will accomplish. I’ve done this for Christmas presents.

© All rights reserved, missmylin 2010.

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Blog Action Day 2010”


  1. 2010/10/15 at 12:15 pm

    Thanks for this post!
    Please read and share my post about Water’s footprint in Fashion http://wp.me/pXsUB-oi
    You can make the difference!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


My tweets

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 421 other followers

Copyright Notice

© Myra Madrilejos, missmylin and "itaga sa bato", 2010 to present. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author/owner is strictly prohibited. All photography on this blog is copyright protected. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Myra Madrilejos and itaga sa bato with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

%d bloggers like this: